Remembering my mother

She’s the greatest human this planet has ever experienced. She loved life, and wanted to have fun. She also loved creating. She made 6 beautiful children. She painted, drew, sewed, pottery, and created in every medium. A DIY Queen, if we didn’t have it, she would make it. She baked all kinds of treats that warmed my soul. When I thought we had no food in the house, she could cook a meal from nothing. 


 She even showed me how to make paper, which she learned while studying art in college. She once said she loved her print making classes, but didn’t quite finish college because she got pregnant with me. So, when I went to college and I got a BFA in printmaking inspired by her. I loved when she came to my art shows, because she was my muse and inspiration. 


When I was a child she brought me to ice skating lessons, and by cheering me on she helped make all my dreams come true. She not only emotionally supported me, but drove me all around town for appointments, sports, life events, and she taught me how to drive. Then I started driving her around. 


I fondly look back on our time in the car, blasting music, singing songs, deep conversations, bonding, and exploring. She loved all kinds of music, I now have the most eclectic playlists made up of songs that she liked. I have great memories of going to concerts with her. 


She just wanted to enjoy life to the fullest, and for everyone to have a good time. She was also the most peaceful, loving and selfless person I’ll ever know. She despised name calling, or bashing on people. She understood we’re all human with emotion, feelings, and a desire to be loved.


 She had the biggest heart and was the ultimate matriarch. All my friends called her “mom”, and she graciously took them all under her wing. Being a mother is what she did best. 


I was recently blessed to turn her into a grandmother, and by golly, what a beautiful sight to see, watching her face light up around her grandchild. My mom was literally glowing. After that first visit I texted her and told her how beautiful and healthy she looked. She responded with a humble “thanks baby!! You are looking fabulous” heart emojis and “I can't wait to bring Myla to the playground! I am so happy that you have your precious baby girl 😘” (pause) I’ve looked back and re-read those messages so many times and it breaks my heart Myla won’t get to have that memory with her grandmother. But it’s another reminder of some of my favorite memories with my mom. 


She took me to parks all the time. We practically lived outside, playing on playgrounds, running around, hiking, biking the greenway, swimming, and teaching me to play tennis. She would even roller blade with me. When I was in high school we started running together. She taught me so much, and I’ll forever carry on her legacy. She will forever be my inspiration to strive to be my best, and make her proud from up above. 

Comments